I’ve written about wanting to cover more business themes from Donbass here. So, I was happy to have the opportunity to spend a day at a bread factory here in Lugansk, with full reportage to come, in English. For now, a few screenshots here –
Here are all the videos, with full English subs, from my recent trip to the LPR frontlines.
Going to the LPR frontlines to see what the real situation is there, after conflicting reports.
An interview with a Russian volunteer fighter there, who gives an update on the situation –
Donbass Militia Fighters by a WWII monument discuss what it means to them.
My wrap-up report from the scene –
I’ve always enjoyed writing, and reporting, on business issues, this, from Ukraine 2012, about Ukraine’ s economy, and Ukraine!
So I was interested in bringing you this reportage, with English subs, from Donbass, as the town of Krasniy Luch, Lugansk People’s Republic, looks to reactivate an electric power plant, dormant since the 1980s, and seeks investors.
Whether the project will be realised, we’ll see, and I’ll be following that. But, largely calm now, apart from the frontlines of conflict, the Lugansk People’s Republic is looking to develop. So, watch out for further business reportage from the LPR.
Last year, some of you may recall, I ran a campaign to raise funds for a headstone for the hero of my film, Aramis –
I’m very happy to say that the monument was put in place here in Lugansk this Saturday, and as you can see, it means a huge deal to his family – parents, brother, daughter and wife – who now serves in the militia – here.
A massive thanks to all of you who made this possible!
With no notable war action, or shelling in the Lugansk People’s Republic since the end of last year, the flare-up this week, on Wednesday June 7th, came as a surprise. The Lugansk People’s Republic reported on the 7th, 27 homes damaged, in the LPR frontier settlements of Kirovsk, Zholebok, and Donetsky, with 1 resident injured, a Ukrainian drone shot down.
This is where the action took place, all around 50km North-east of the city of Lugansk. (Note, Ukraine renamed Kirovsk ‘Golubovky’, in 2016).
This video, damage to domestic property in the town of Kirovsk, from the LPR press service, on the 7th –
This was accompanied by reports of Ukrainians mounting an attack on Zholobok, on the morning of the 7th. The LPR reported this attack as repelled, with a figure given today of 11 Ukrainian servicemen killed, 18 wounded. The LPR have reported 3 wounded on their side, and photos were released today of the Red Cross removing a body, identified as a Ukrainian soldier, from a neutral zone.
A wounded Ukrainian serviceman, meanwhile, has described the battle as ‘hell’, and an attack from the LPR forces ‘from all sides’. The LPR have released this video, with coordinates, and details of what took place –
What’s the reality? Well, both sides have given their own versions of events, and losses. And things got weirder still, when Ukraine accused the LPR of ‘setting it all up’ for my benefit, so I could ‘film it for Russian tv’. Not only do I have nothing to do with Russian tv, but I didn’t even film it, it was so unexpected no journalist did.
As we move into the weekend, things have settled down, and what took place seems clear. Ukraine mounted an attack, accompanied by shelling of civilian areas, it was repellted. Territory is as it was before, figures of losses given by both sides, about both sides, are as ever to be regarded as the information of that side.
My special reportage this weekend, which will have full English subtitles, will focus on the situation in the frontier village of Donetskiy, one of the hotspots of action.
To support my work, click here – https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/next-period-of-reportage-donbass-crimea-more-russia#/ Or here – https://www.paypal.me/grahamwphillips
I’ve been back in Donbass for near 3 weeks now, here’s a look at 10 key pieces of reportage in that time.
1. A look at the difference in treatment of 2 British men who served for different sides in Donbass –
2. A trip to the LPR frontlines to see what Victory Day means for the fighters there – full English –
3. Full filming of Victory Day in Lugansk, here, the start of that event!
Here – a look at the ‘Immortal Regiment’ in Lugansk on Victory Day!
4. Republic Day in the Donetsk People’s Republic, which saw a turnout of some 60,000, but again, wasn’t covered by any western media! Here, a look at how it was –
5. Here on the Truth Speaker, I tackled the claims of Alexander Khodokovsky, a constant source of misinformation from Donbass.
6. And here, a debunking of more lies about Donbass from the Ukraine side –
7. Here, covering the conflict, as civilians again came under fire from Ukrainian forces, with a woman wounded, here in Kominternovo –
8. Here, a look at Lugansk, School 60, as the final bell of school sounded for sixth formers there –
9. And, it was a return to Kominternovo, to spend a day there in that DPR frontier town, to see how exactly it is. See here, for full video reportage –
10. And here, a revealing interview about the OSCE, with a Kominternovo woman –
All of this, and much much more, and it’s all been possible thanks to your support! To be involved in my new crowdfunding campaign, click here –
To make an ongoing donation to my work, click here –